CINCINNATI – FC Cincinnati today announced the majority of their upcoming roster decisions for the current 2019 roster, preliminarily indicating which players could return to the Orange and Blue in 2020.
The 2019 players who have had decisions announced fall into one of four categories for the 2020 roster:
- Guaranteed contracts for 2020 (already under contract next year)
- Out of contract
- Contract option executed for 2020
- Contract option declined for 2020
“It is never easy to make decisions that affect your players personally at the end of the season,” General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. “We had to take an evaluative approach after this season and really look hard at who we believe will fit into our system going forward. There were some very tough decisions to be made, but ultimately our goal is put an improved product on the field in 2020.
“We have a lot of guaranteed contracts next year, so that factored into our decision-making process. As the offseason continues, there will be additional changes and additions. There are a couple of players we are in continued discussions with about their futures at FC Cincinnati, and we know those decisions will also have an impact on our 2020 roster,” Nijkamp said.
The club’s current roster decisions for 2020 are as follows:
- A total of 16 players have guaranteed contracts for the 2020 season: F Fanendo Adi, M Fatai Alashe, M Frankie Amaya, M Leonardo Bertone, M Allan Cruz, D Mathieu Deplagne, D Greg Garza, D Andrew Gutman, M Joseph-Claude Gyau, F Kekuta Manneh, F Darren Mattocks, D Alvas Powell, M Caleb Stanko, GK Przemysław Tytoń, D Maikel van der Werff, D Kendall Waston.
- Two players are out of contract in 2020: M Nazmi Albadawi and M Victor Ulloa.
- FC Cincinnati will execute the 2020 contract options for at least six players: F Rashawn Dally, D Nick Hagglund, GK Jimmy Hague, GK Ben Lundt, M Tommy McCabe and GK Spencer Richey.
- Finally, FCC will decline the 2020 contract options on at least five players: M Corben Bone, D Justin Hoyte, M Roland Lamah, M Emmanuel Ledesma* and M Jimmy McLaughlin*.
* The club is in current negotiations and discussions with Ledesma and McLaughlin about their futures with FC Cincinnati.
Contract decisions for most of the players currently designated as on loan – either outgoing or incoming – on FCC’s roster will be made in the current weeks, ahead of the league’s deadline. Those players include M Derrick Etienne Jr. (on loan from MLS’ New York Red Bulls), D Logan Gdula (on loan to the USL Championship’s Hartford Athletic), D Forrest Lasso (on loan to the USL Championship’s Nashville SC) and D Hassan Ndam (on loan to the USL Championship’s Charlotte Independence).
The team’s roster decisions are the first step in formulating the club’s opening day roster for 2020.
“We wanted to make these decisions for next year known now so that players who will not be back with us next year gain time to find a new playing situation for 2020,” Nijkamp said. “When we begin our three weeks of postseason training next week, we anticipate having those players who could be back with us next year out on the field.”
After clubs report their contract decisions for 2020 to the league, more roster movement can occur.
Later in November, all clubs who are required to make players available in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft will submit their lists of up to 12 protected players to the league by Nov. 15. On Saturday, Nov. 16, MLS will release the list of players available for selection by Nashville SC and Inter Miami CF in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft, which will be held on Tuesday, Nov. 19. Each team can select up to five current players from other MLS teams, and no more than one player per team can be selected overall.
Following the MLS Expansion Draft will be the Waiver Draft, allowing potentially more movement of players from team to team.
Later in the fall, the league will also conduct Stage 1 and Stage 2 of the 2019 MLS Re-Entry Draft, which allows players whose options were declined or who are out of contract to connect with new teams. Stage 1 selections are added to teams’ rosters at their previously contracted 2020 salary, while Stage 2 selections can negotiate with teams for new contracts provided the club makes a bona fide offer. Any player not selected in the Re-Entry Draft is then free to sign with a new club.
FC Cincinnati will return to the field in early 2020 for their second MLS season. Deposits are now being accepted for 2020 Season Ticket Memberships by calling 513-977-5425 (KICK) or at fccincinnati.com/tickets. A single $50 deposit grants access to purchase season tickets in 2020, and the deposit will be applied to the full cost of 2020 Season Tickets. A 2020 Season Ticket Membership also secures fans’ place on the club’s priority list, which will be utilized when sales begin in the new West End Stadium for the 2021 season.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team’s official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati.