CINCINNATI – FC Cincinnati today announced the majority of their upcoming roster decisions for the current 2020 roster, preliminarily indicating which players could return to the Orange and Blue in 2021.
The 2020 players who have had decisions announced fall into one of four categories for the 2021 roster:
- Guaranteed contract for 2021 (already under contract next year)
- Out of contract
- Contract option exercised for 2021
- Contract option declined for 2021
“Making end-of-year roster decisions is always an important step to take as we continue the process of building a roster that fits our playing philosophy,” General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. “There are always difficult decisions to be made, and oftentimes, a mutual parting of ways between a player and a club proves to be the best decision for both parties.”
“We have seen the potential in a number of players who have shown their quality and how they can fit within the club’s playing style. We’re also utilizing our partnership with TSG Hoffenheim to evaluate the opportunity with Franko Kovačević to see if there is a fit within our roster following the 2021 preseason.”
The club’s current roster decisions for 2021 are as follows:
- A total of 12 players have guaranteed contracts for the 2021 season: Saad Abdul-Salaam, Frankie Amaya, Alvaro Barreal, Allan Cruz, Franko Kovačević, Yuya Kubo, Jürgen Locadia, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Tom Pettersson, Beckham Sunderland, Maikel van der Werff and Brandon Vazquez
- Four players are out of contract in 2021: Andrew Gutman, Nick Hagglund, Spencer Richey and Przemysław Tytoń
- FC Cincinnati will exercise the 2021 contract options on three players: Zico Bailey, Ben Lundt and Haris Medunjanin
- Finally, FCC will decline the 2021 contract options on 12 players: Rashawn Dally, Siem de Jong, Mathieu Deplagne, Greg Garza, Joseph-Claude Gyau, Bobby Edwards, Tommy McCabe, Jimmy McLaughlin, Hassan Ndam, Rey Ortiz, Caleb Stanko* and Kendall Waston
* The club is in current negotiations and discussions with Andrew Gutman, Joseph-Claude Gyau, Nick Hagglund, Caleb Stanko and Przemysław Tytoń about their futures with FC Cincinnati.
The team’s roster decisions are the first step in formulating the club’s opening day roster for 2021.
“We felt it was important to make these decisions swiftly to not only provide an opportunity for the players who are no longer part of our organization to have the maximum amount of time to find a new opportunity, but also to provide us the roster flexibility as we prepare for more additions ahead of the new season.” Nijkamp said.
More information regarding the 2020 MLS offseason calendar will be released at a later date.
FC Cincinnati’s current roster headed into 2021, listed alphabetically by position, is below:
Goalkeepers (2): Ben Lundt, Beckham Sunderland
Defenders (4): Saad Abdul-Salaam, Zico Bailey Tom Pettersson, Maikel van der Werff
Midfielders (6): Frankie Amaya, Alvaro Barreal, Allan Cruz, Yuya Kubo, Haris Medunjanin, Kamohelo Mokotjo
Forwards (3): Franko Kovačević, Jürgen Locadia, Brandon Vazquez
Don't miss your chance to ask questions. Join our State of the Team address tonight to talk all things team-related for FC Cincinnati.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team’s official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team’s official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
Information about seating options at the club’s state-of-the-art West End Stadium – which will open in Spring 2021 – is now available at westendstadium.com. The priority deadline for premium seating deposits has passed, and deposits for traditional reserved seating will open next month. For more information about 2021 season memberships, visit westendstadium.com or the stadium’s social properties on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram at @WestEndStadium, or by calling the team’s sales and service staff at 513-977-5425.