CINCINNATI – FC Cincinnati will celebrate Earth Day and MLS WORKS’ fourth-annual Greener Goals Week of Service at its April 19 game against Real Salt Lake by wearing specially designed Adidas x Parley uniforms.
The 2019 limited edition Adidas x Parley jerseys are now on sale for $85 at FC Cincinnati’s downtown store, located at 43 East Fourth St., Cincinnati, OH 45202. They are also available for purchase at MLSstore.com and adidas.com.
Fans who visit the FC Cincinnati Team Store between today and April 18 are eligible to receive one entry to win one of two special prizes:
- A team-autographed adidas soccer ball
- A pregame, on-field “Benchwarmer” experience for two (2) at the April 19 game against RSL
To enter, fans who visit the team’s downtown store and fill out an entry form. The two winners will be drawn at 7 p.m. ET, on Thursday, April 18, and notified that evening. (Official Rules)
MLS WORKS is Major League Soccer’s social responsibility platform. During the annual Greener Goals Week of Service, clubs and League office staff volunteer their time and give back in partnership with local charitable organizations.
Adidas x Parley Jerseys
To help bring awareness to the campaign, all 24 MLS clubs will wear special Adidas x Parley eco-friendly kits during Earth Day weekend (April 19-21). These innovative kits, built with Climalite technology, are made from technical yarns comprised of Parley Ocean Plastic™.
Each Parley jersey that the clubs will wear on Earth Day weekend is crafted using threads made from upcycled plastic waste intercepted by Parley from remote islands, shorelines, and in coastal communities. Once collected, the original plastic source is reworked into technical fibers that can then be repurposed for use in either apparel or footwear.
To commemorate this and celebrate the importance of our oceans, which generate 50 to 85 percent of the air we breathe, the message “For the Oceans” is featured in the inside of the neck tape detailing, and each club’s name is featured on the back-neck.
This year’s jerseys are in bold Blue Spirit and Legend Ink to represent the depth of the oceans. FC Cincinnati will wear the Legend Ink kit on April 19, while the visiting Real Salt Lake will wear the Blue Spirit kit.
FC Cincinnati’s Greener Goals Week of Service Activities
As part of the global Adidas x Parley initiative, plastic waste collected on beaches and in coastal communities is transformed into high-performance sportswear. The collaboration between MLS, adidas and Parley for the Oceans also serves to encourage fans to decrease their use of single-use plastics and reinforce the importance of changing human attitude and behavior towards plastic pollution through the Parley AIR Strategy: Avoid. Intercept. Redesign.
To promote MLS WORKS Greener Goals Week of Service, FC Cincinnati has a series of initiatives planned next week to lead up to the April 19 game, including its second collection of single-use plastic bags at the game, in partnership with Newport Aquarium and its WAVE Foundation.
During the week, FC Cincinnati will be around the Greater Cincinnati region:
- Monday, April 15: Nick Hagglund, Hassan Ndam and Spencer Richey will join FCC staff and supporters at a clean-up project in the West End neighborhood of Cincinnati.
- Tuesday, April 16: Frankie Amaya, Forrest Lasso, Caleb Stanko and Kendall Waston will assist with a home refurbishment project in the West End.
- Wednesday, April 17: Jimmy McLaughlin and Victor Ulloa will visit the Carl Lindner YMCA to speak to kids about giving back in their community and to create “plarn” out of plastic bags with Shari the Bag Lady.
- Friday, April 19: FC Cincinnati will host Real Salt Lake at Nippert Stadium. Both teams will wear the special Adidas x Parley uniforms. Additionally, FCC will conduct its second single-use plastic bag collection at the stadium gates.
- Monday, April 22, Earth Day: Club President & General Manager Jeff Berding and selected FCC players will visit the Newport Aquarium to help wrap up the single-use plastic bag collection with a special ceremony and press event detailing the impact FCC’s collection had on the local environment.
FC Cincinnati will return to the road next weekend when they play LAFC at Banc of California Stadium on Saturday, April 13. The match will be televised locally on WSTR Star64, streamed regionally on FloFC, out of market on ESPN+ and carried on the radio on WDJO, while an audio stream will be available on the TuneIn app and fccincinnati.com. FC Cincinnati’s home game will come on Friday, April 19, when FCC hosts Real Salt Lake at 7:30 p.m. Season tickets, mini plans and individual-game tickets are on sale at fccincinnati.com/tickets or by calling 513-977-5425 (KICK).
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team’s official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati.