FC Cincinnati 2

RECAP | FC Cincinnati 2 settle for a point in 2-2 draw against Huntsville City FC


FC Cincinnati 2 earned one point on Sunday night in a 2-2 draw against Huntsville City FC, falling in the shootout, 7-6. The Orange and Blue are 1-1-1 on the season and sit fourth in the Eastern Conference, as results stand.

It was a rather uneventful opening 30 minutes of play before Huntsville’s Oliver Wright brought the match to life with a goal in the 38th minute, giving the visitors a 1-0 lead. Wright measured a curling effort at the top of the box to beat Alec Kann at the far post.

FCC 2 and Huntsville City FC combined for just three shot attempts in the first half, and Huntsville owned a large majority of possession, 63.2 percent to 36.8 percent.

FCC 2 and Huntsville traded three second half goals with the Orange and Blue drawing level in the 59th minute through Arquimides Ordoñez’s third goal of the young season. It was a wonderful individual effort from Ordoñez, who drove past a number of Huntsville defenders before having a go from the top of the area and picking out the top right corner of the net.

Huntsville’s Daniel Griffin matched Ordonez nine minutes later to restore Huntsville’s one goal advantage before Ordonez scored his second of the night, and fourth of the season, in the 75th minute to knot things up, 2-2. Each side had chances over the final fifteen minutes to take three points, but the match was destined for a shootout, the first of the season for FCC 2.

Alec Kann, who made his first start of the season for FCC 2, made four saves in the match, keeping the Orange and Blue within striking distance throughout. Kann would also rise to the occasion in the shootout making one save, but Huntsville would ultimately prevail, taking an extra point from the encounter.

FCC 2’s next match comes against Sporting Kansas City II on April 23 at Scudamore Field at NKU Soccer Stadium with kickoff scheduled for 7 p.m. ET.


FC Cincinnati 2 v. Huntsville City FC
Date: Apr. 9, 2023
Competition: MLS NEXT Pro
Venue: Scudamore Field at NKU Soccer Stadium
Kickoff: 5:03 p.m. ET
Weather: 63 degrees, sunny

CIN: 0-2-2
CIN: A. Ordoñez 59’, A. Ordoñez (B. Halsey) 75'
HNT: 1-1-2
HNT: O. Wright (S. Joash) 38’, D. Griffin 68’


**CIN: A. Kann, I. Murphy, K. Thomas, J. Akpunonu, I. Foster, S. Adams (R. Mills, 72’), S. Jimenez, B. Halsey (D. Turcios, 87’), M. Marshall, A. Ordoñez, J. Castellano

Substitutes not used: P. Walters, B. Stitz, D. Garcia, N. Samways, H. Conteh, O. Noverr, N. McHenry

Head Coach: Tyrone Marshall

HNT: E. Panicco, T. Washington (J. Skinner, 77’), S. Suber, A. Longmire, J. Bauer, J. Bolanos, O. Wright, B. Anunga (D. Griffin, 64’), J. Gregus (J. DeZart, 64’), K. Amiche, S. Joash (T. Freeman, 64’)

Substitutes not used: J. Berner, I. Johnston, C. Rad, C. N’sa, J. Drack-Asami

Head Coach: Jack Collison

Shots: 5 / 15
Shots on goal: 3 / 6
Saves: 4 / 1
Corner kicks: 0 / 5
Fouls: 14 / 17
Offside: 1 / 0
Possession: 38.9 / 61.1

HNT: B. Anunga (YC, 56’)
HNT: A. Longmire (YC, 79’)
CIN: I. Murphy (YC, 90’+1)

Referee: Nabil Bensalah
Ast. Referee(s): Eric Burton, Stephen Milhoan
Fourth Official: Braeden Frey