skip navigation

FCC Unbeaten In Five Following Stoppage Time PK

By Fumi Kimura, 09/23/17, 11:30PM EDT


FENTON, MO --- Danni König calmly buried a penalty kick in the final minute of stoppage time as FC Cincinnati extended its unbeaten streak to five matches following a 2-2 tie at Saint Louis FC Sat. night at Toyota Stadium. With the tie, FCC remains in sixth place with a 10-9-10 (40 pts.) record.

FCC had to rally from behind after Saint Louis FC (9-12-8, 35 pts.) sandwiched the halftime period with goals by Seth Rudolph (42nd) and a penalty kick by Christian Volesky in the 59th minute.

“Tonight was a challenging match where some of our regular, consistent performers had some tough moments, but the team showed the character we know that they have to work until the bitter end and earn a point on the road,” said Head Coach Alan Koch. “We have been on a roll now, being undefeated in five [games], but will need to put in better performances over the next few weeks to earn the required points to get in to the play-offs.”

The Orange and Blue used an 80-percent passing accuracy in the second half and a 62-percent advantage in possession to mount a 10-shot attack in the second period, including five shots on goal.

FCC got on the board in the 70th minute. A free kick by Kenney Walker popped into the air by Harrison Delbridge and then directed towards the goal by Austin Berry, only to see his shot saved by Devala Gorrick, who managed to poke the ball over ball over the crossbar. However, on the following corner kick, FCC wasted little time. Saint Louis’ attempt to clear the service from Walker dropped to Corben Bone, who volleyed a shot into back of the net to cut the deficit in half.

Jimmy McLaughlin, who provided late-game heroics at Harrisburg City Islanders with a stoppage-time goal, set the scene for König’s penalty kick. A long ball by Gorrick was quickly returned from the FCC backfield by Josu. His pass was flicked into the box by Delbridge and McLaughlin, who beat an oncoming Gorrick to the ball, timed the ball’s bounce before heading it just wide of the goal as he was knocked down by the goalie for the foul in the box.

The game was marked by physical play with the two sides combining for 35 fouls.  

Delbridge tried to even the score in the 73rd minute with a shot from the top of the box but his attempt just grazed the top of the goal.

König looked to have a goal in the 81st minute after being on the receiving end on a pass from Djiby. König, easily put the shot in the back of the net but the goal was negated after Djiby was called for the foul on the header.

FCC pushed forward several times in the period, creating chances and took advantage of the space allotted to them. Sem De Wit and Walker both just missed the goal in the 83rd and 84th minutes respectively. McLaughlin blistered a shot in stoppage time that was saved by Gorrick. On the following corner kick, FCC managed to head the ball towards the goal but Gorrick again was in position for the save.

Seth Rudolph broke through the scoreless tie for Saint Louis FC, scoring the home side’s first goal against FCC this year and moving into the team lead with his seventh goal of the year in the 42nd minute for a 1-0 advantage. Rudolph frustrated the FCC defense, crossing up Justin Hoyte to create enough space and fire a shot from the right side that found the upper right corner.

His tie for the lead, however, was short-lived as Christian Volesky moved back into the team’s top spot with his eighth goal after converting a penalty kick in the 59th minute following a handball call in the box on Delbridge.

Rudolph had threatened earlier in the 26th minute, taking an open shot from inside the right corner at the top of the box but missed a solid opportunity, popping the ball high.

FCC took six shots in the first half and Matt Bahner, who had two attempts, nearly tied the score in stoppage time, but was thwarted by Gorrick.

Andrew Wiedeman rocketed a shot from inside the 18 in the 33rd after Saint Louis FC was unable to clear it out of the box but his near-post shot swung slightly wide, finding the side of the net.

McLaughlin had a look at the goal in the 35th minute after taking the pass from Kyle Greig but his attempt flew high. It was McLaughlin again a minute later as the midfielder pushed the ball through three defenders but was prevented from putting on a final touch as Gorrick scooped up the ball.

In the 40th minute Sem de Wit earned a corner for the Orange and Blue and Kenney Walker’s service was met by a diving Harrison Delbridge, who’s header arced over the goal.  

FCC continues its road swing next Fri. (Sept. 23) at Charlotte Independence at 7:00 p.m.

Goal Summary

STLFC: 42nd - Seth Rudolph

STLFC: 59th – Christian Volesky (PK)

FCC: 70th – Corben Bone

FCC: 95th – Danni König

Starting Lineups

FCC: Mitch Hildebrandt, Matt Bahner, Austin Berry, Sem de Wit, Harrison Delbridge, Justin Hoyte, Kenney Walker, Corben Bone, Jimmy McLaughlin, Andrew Wiedeman, Kyle Greig

STLFC: Devala Gorrick, Ryan Howe, Tony Walis, AJ Cochran, Wes Charpie, Ivan Mirkovic, Dragan Stojkow, Mats Burman, Seth Rudolph, Christian Volesky, Tyler David

Latest News