skip navigation

Wiedeman Scores, FCC Draws 1-1

By FCC Staff, 09/02/17, 7:15PM EDT


CINCINNATI, OH – Andrew Wiedeman’s goal in the 40th countered an early strike by Pittsburgh Riverhounds as the two teams played to a 1-1 draw Sat. evening in front of 22,643 at Nippert Stadium.

“In the first five minutes, it was obvious that Pittsburgh came out flying. Our response was key and we were able to manage them,” said FCC Head Coach Alan Koch postgame. “I’m not happy with the first five, but I was pleased with the remainder of the match. It shouldn’t, but the length between games could have affected this result. The training this week was excellent so that was no excuse.”

Pittsburgh quickly tallied the first score of the match in the third minute. Following a pass from forward Chevaughn Walsh, fellow forward Corey Hertzog dribbled a couple times and shook his defender before firing a shot from outside the box into the left side of the net, past the reach of keeper Mitch Hildebrandt.

The clubs traded shots at the goal for the better part of the first half until the Orange and Blue put the equalizer on the board in the 40th minute.

Defender Matt Bahner searched to set up an attack on a pass to Danni König, who tried to back-heel a pass to Jimmy McLaughlin on the right side of the box. However, Pittsburgh’s Taylor Washington deflected König’s pass, and Wiedeman recovered possession and pushed one through for his second goal on the season.

The Orange and Blue nearly moved ahead moments before intermission on a corner from team captain Kenney Walker in the 44th minute. Walker crossed a ball to the right side of the box to König in close range, but König’s try missed wide right.

In the 60th minute, Wiedeman tried for his second goal on the night on a pass from König. Wiedeman received the pass on the run and from outside the box, fired a shot that was blocked but still nearly fell through, missing just high of the top goal post.

FCC forward Djiby entered the game for König in the 65th minute and soon made his impact felt on the turf. McLaughlin looked to set up Djiby in the 67th minute with a cross into the box, but Djiby slipped simultaneously as he attempted a shot.

Djiby tried one again in the 87th minute from close range. Walker dribbled outside the box before lofting one in to Djiby, who tried a header that missed high of the net.

The outcome was a tough draw for FCC despite controlling possession for nearly 65 percent of the match. Hildebrandt added three more saves to his USL-leading number, giving him 80 on the season.

FCC returns to the pitch Tues., Sept. 12 when they travel to face Harrisburg City Islanders. The match is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.


PGH: 3rd – Corey Hertzog (Chevaughn Walsh)

FCC: 40th – Andrew Wiedeman


FCC: Mitch Hildebrandt, Matt Bahner, Sem De Wit, Justin Hoyte, Harrison Delbridge, Josu, Kenney Walker, Corben Bone, Jimmy McLaughlin Andrew Wiedeman, Danni König

PGH: Matt Perella, Taylor Washington, Jamal Jack, Tobi Adewole, Ritchie Duffie, Victor Souto, Stephen Okai, Kevin Kerr, Romeo Parkes, Corey Hertzog, Chevy Walsh

Attendance: 22,643

Latest News