skip navigation


By fcc admin, 07/07/16, 6:45PM EDT


ROCHESTER, NY – FC Cincinnati’s 11-game unbeaten streak was halted following a 2-1 loss at Rochester Wednesday evening at Rhinos Stadium.

The loss was just FCC’s third in USL action this year as the Orange and Blue dropped to 9-3-4 while the Rhinos improved to 7-4-4.

FCC was limited to three shots in the first half but Sean Okoli nearly gave the club the lead in the 27th minute with a shot that caromed off the crossbar.

In the two sides’ first meeting for the first time this year, Rochester struck first, getting a 34th minute goal from Michael Garzi following a scramble in the box that resulted with Garzi jumping on a loose ball.

FCC came out of the half and immediately pushed the ball towards the Rhino defense, out-shooting Rochester 9-2. Jimmy McLaughlin opened action on the half with a corner kick in the 48th minute but Rochester would manage to clear the ball.

Christian Volesky answered with a threat for the Rhinos as the forward carried the ball deep into the FCC territory but would be thwarted and come up empty in the effort.

Okoli, who led all players with six shots, managed to work himself free in the box in the 56th minute and sent a pass from Eric Stevenson towards the goal that would sail wide.

Steven Dos Santos gave Rochester a two-goal lead in the in the 64th minute. Receiving a long pass from Joseph Farrell, Dos Santos managed to get past Harrison Delbridge. The forward chested the pass down in front and was tripped in the box before putting the penalty kick past Mitch Hildebrandt.

FCC answered in the 74th minute after being awarded a penalty kick of their own. Corben Bone chipped the ball to an oncoming Andrew Wiedeman, who was felled by goalkeeper Tomas Gomez. Okoli, asked to take his fourth penalty kick of the year, cut the Rhinos lead in half after slipping the ball under a diving Gomez.

The Orange and Blue looked to have a chance at tying the score in the 89th minute after Marcos Ugarte was called for the foul. Bone and Okoli huddled around the ball but it was Delbridge with the attempt and the Australian native saw his effort go high.

In stoppage time, it was Okoli again, who put himself in a position to score for FCC. The forward made a near-post run and delivered a left-footed effort just in front of the goal but Gomez knocked down the attempt to preserve the Rhinos’ 2-1 win.

Hildebrandt made two saves for FCC. Austin Berry saw action for the first time since Apr. 24, entering in the 62nd minute for Paul Nicholson.

FCC continues action this Saturday at St. Louis FC with kickoff set for 8:30 p.m. ET